Sunday, February 21, 2010

Rufus Wainwright

This post is for me.

It is fair to say that I am partially, if not completely, obsessed with Rufus Wainwright. What a voice he has, what songs he writes and what a stylish performer he is. He can captivate any room and conquer any project. He has tackled the Judy Garland songbook at Carnegie Music Hall, written an original classical (and French!) opera and, most recently, released a live record of his own material.

Rufus' pop albums, however, are what make me happiest and nerdiest. And, luckily, Rufus is releasing his sixth studio release, All Days Are Nights: Songs For Lulu, which arrives on April 20. I am quite excited, it is obvious. If I have the chance to see Rufus perform live again, I will not miss it. Few voices can fill a theater like his can.

Thoughts also go out to Rufus after the death of his mother, folk singer Kate McGarrigle.

(P.S. My illustration does not do Rufus justice, so please look at all the lovely pictures of him out there on the wonderful Internet).

No comments:

Post a Comment